Website X, the Moonshot Factory
Alphabet’s moonshot factory. 10x on the world's hardest problems
About the team:
You will join an early stage team exploring how a mix of new fabrics, robotics and AI/ML might help people with mobility challenges and improve quality of life for hundreds of millions of people. For example, imagine the functionality of exoskeletons in a form-factor closer to clothing. The project will be in a prototyping phase, rapidly iterating and implementing ideas to progressively de-risk the idea from a technical perspective.
The team is multi-disciplinary, bringing together expertise in machine learning, biomechanics, robotics and soft goods. What unites us is a drive for impact and willingness to look ridiculous. We celebrate spectacular failures.
About the role:
You will be the project’s technical lead for machine learning, high level controls, data insights and simulation. You’ll work cross-functionally with the Hardware and Embedded Systems lead, Product Management, and other teams. Our team is small, scrappy and constantly evolving, as such, you should enjoy contributing high impact code as well as guiding and mentoring others.
This is an incredibly dynamic role and requires high interdisciplinary communication, organization, and planning. The ideal candidate is a self-starter and has a track record of effectively operating in a dynamic loosely-structured environment (e.g. startup, new product within Google). You should be comfortable with uncertainty and constantly figuring out what to do next. If you like to know exactly what you’ll be working on tomorrow/next quarter, it’s probably not for you. If you flourish in creative chaos and can gently introduce a bit of rigor but not too much to kill the spirit of innovation, if you are motivated by making the world a better place through technology, and want to be part of an inclusive team with diverse mindsets and backgrounds that makes this happen – then this might just be the role for you.
How you’ll make 10X impact:
* Be an active engineer and technical lead on the project. You must be willing to get your hands dirty! We operate Python, C++ and bash code in several distinct environments
* Own the technical roadmap for software, ML and controls and drive the team to meet the milestones. Balance longevity and broad exploration with rapid execution. Work with the engineering team across SWE, Machine Learning, and statistical problems
* Drive key decisions on software architecture. Produce technical and design documents. Lead design reviews and provide feedback to the team members.
* Assess and scope technical feasibility of possible new products, prototypes, and research explorations
* Provide mentorship to the team members
* Provide a sounding board of advice, assumption questioning, and puns to the project lead and other senior team members..
To apply for this job please visit x.company.