DO THE WORK THAT MATTERS
|LOCATION||SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES OF AMERICA|
|DATE POSTED||TUESDAY, MAY 23, 2023|
|CONTRACT TYPE||FULL TIME|
This position is accountable for administering professional legal and administrative assistance along with contributing toward the effective conduct of company and subsidiary legal matters within a teaming environment.
NATURE AND SCOPE:
This position performs complex legal and administrative tasks as appropriate and required in the legal environment. A highly motivated individual with excellent administrative experience, with a fundamental understanding of commercial, corporate, litigation, procedural law and legal research. A fundamental understanding of litigation details, i.e. consistent and updated knowledge of local rules, rules of practice and procedure, with some corporate law to perform the necessary legal research when required. An understanding of legal, contract, and commercial contract terminology is required. Precise use of punctuation, words, spelling and grammar is a must, with the ability to perform multiple tasks while keeping a strong commitment to the integrity of each individual task. This position requires an individual that is highly reliable, has excellent interpersonal skills and has experience in working in a team environment. The incumbent, depending upon the project or task, will be required to work as an individual member to meet the required due date of a project/task. The incumbent must have excellent computer/word processing skills and superior knowledge of administrative functions, as well as the ability to work effectively with executive and high level administrative/technical employees, and external customers. This position may support a member of the President’s Staff. Incumbent will support attorney(s) and/or contract manager(s). Confidentiality and propriety are a must. This position reports to the Supervisor, Legal Support Services.
- Coordinate and perform highly complex administrative and legal tasks, often of a sensitive and confidential nature, using department procedures and Solar’s policies. Prioritize own workload and establish administrative methods and procedures for functional area and related administrative support.
- Contributes to quality, timeliness, cost effectiveness and more effective and efficient utilization of Legal/Contract resources and outside counsel resources.
- Compose and prepare detailed reports, correspondence, meeting minutes, tables, charts, spreadsheets, including the use of graphics and text art. May include researching and assembling information and materials from various sources. Create and generate purchase requisitions, maintenance requests and check requests.
- Research and resolve a wide range of problems in accordance with department objectives, using discretion and sound judgment to facilitate workflow.
- Use advanced computer skills for various software packages. Use advanced features of electronic mail, time management; document management, file and database management, and budget management systems. May serve as a liaison or “IT superuser” for testing, rollout, training, and basic troubleshooting for Legal Services-specific software administered by Legal IT. (e.g. eCounsel, DMS document management).
- Exercise sound independent judgment in initiating, planning, coordinating and implementing a variety of large projects or functions. Plan and organize off-site functions, including price negotiation for equipment rental, catering services, and banquet room fees. Plan, organize meetings and events; make travel arrangements which may include coordinating calendars, hotel rooms and car rentals.
- Provide quality telephone coverage including backup phone coverage. Be an exemplary communicator in order to keep information flowing within department, between departments, with suppliers and customers.
- Maintain multiple calendars (when appropriate) for management and conference rooms.
- Train or assist department personnel and peers in office procedures, voicemail, electronic mail, time management, as well as limited training in software applications. Recommended changes to improve office efficiency.
- Set up and maintain specialized resource files. Accountable for ordering and maintaining office supplies, preparing purchase requisitions, and check requests for department.
- Perform Notary functions for Legal Department and internal Solar customers on an as required basis. (To maintain Notary status incumbent must take and pass a California Notary exam every four years).
- Set priorities, goals and long-range planning for position and communicate same to supervisor.
- Maintain an up-to-date Minimum Continuing Legal Education (“MCLE”) database file for attorneys and own current paralegal requirement (if applicable). Maintain database on State Bar Associations for attorney(s).
- Create and maintain database on immigration matters working closely with the Human Resources representatives to maintain accurate documentation.
- Maintain invoicing for attorney fees on legal matters inputting information in department database; prepare for appropriate approval and distribute for payment when required.
- Prepare monthly updated budget tracking sheets for Legal staff that reflects monthly spending versus budget.
- Legal contact for all subpoena matters (when applicable).
- Incumbent may be required to process the application of appropriate information required in Company Nondisclosure and Confidentiality Agreement. Ability to answer general inquiries of internal customers.
Your Work Shapes the World
Whether it be groundbreaking products, best in class solutions or creating a lifelong career, you can do the work that matters at Solar Turbines Incorporated, a Caterpillar company. With a 95-year legacy of quality and innovation and multiple locations in countries around the world, your impact spans the globe.
When you join Solar, you are joining a team of makers, innovators and doers. We are the people who roll up our sleeves and do the work to build a better world. We don’t just talk about progress and innovation. We make it happen. And we are proud of that because it helps our customers build and power the world we live in – factories, hospitals, homes and energy infrastructure. Without a dedicated workforce Solar could not effectively meet our customer’s needs. Join us.
To provide advanced administrative support to company executives, availing them the additional time for their top management responsibilities.
Job duties include but are not limited to the following:
1.Typing, filing, transcription.
2.Operate a PC and standard software programs; (Office 365).
3.Prepare expense books using Concur.
4.Coordinate communications by receiving and passing along e-mails, notices, etc.
5.Prepare presentation materials as needed.
6. Draft correspondence and other documents
7.Schedule meetings and maintain calendars.
8. Arrange Travel
9. Process Invoices
- In addition to the above duties, the incumbent spends a significant amount of time organizing and expediting workflow through the supervisor’s office. Job duties also require the use of advanced levels of understanding and skill in Microsoft Office.
- Incumbents must be able to organize, complete and maintain large projects such as a database for a process improvement. This might also include the direction and coordination of the activities of others such as temporary clerical help, co-ops, other administrative professionals, etc.
- Uses discretion, judgment and initiative to continue the work responsibilities of the office in an efficient manner when the manager is unavailable. The incumbent must determine what can be handled immediately by direct reports, referred to others, held for manager’s return or completed by the administrative assistant independently. Works with highly sensitive and confidential information.
- Ensures travel and lodging accommodations as required by the manager. The incumbent must tend to all the details involved with manager’s visits to Caterpillar domestic and overseas facilities and to other companies and unions.
- Coordinates airline travel, prepares expense books and reconciles manager’s expense statement.
- Coordinates large conferences, special events involving customers, community leaders or business associates and employee and company events.
- Operates a personal computer for purpose of typing, scheduling meetings, calendaring of events and activities, sending and receiving messages, and uploading and downloading information utilizing various software programs.
- Minimum 10 – 15 years legal administrative experience or a Bachelor’s degree with 5 – 10 years of experience in legal administration.
- Minimum 5 – 7 years paralegal experience. Paralegal certificate is optional, but is a plus to this position.
Compensation & Benefits
Base salary for this role ranges from $ 56,618.00, to $ 84,928.00. Actual salary will be based on experience. The total rewards package, beyond base salary includes:
- Annual incentive bonus plan*
- Medical, dental and vision coverage starting day 1
- Paid time off plan (Vacation, Holiday, Volunteer, Etc.)
- 401(k) Savings Plan including company match
- Health savings account (HSA)
- Flexible spending accounts (FSAs)
- Short and long-term disability coverage
- Life Insurance
- Parental leave
- Employee Assistance Programs
- Voluntary Benefits and Employee Discounts
- Career Development
*Subject to annual eligibility and incentive plan guidelines
This employer is not currently hiring foreign national applicants that require or will require sponsorship tied to a specific employer, such as H, L, TN, F, J, E, O.
Summary Pay Range:
$0.00 – $0.00
Compensation and benefits offered may vary depending on multiple individualized factors, job level, market location, job-related knowledge, skills, individual performance and experience. Please note that salary is only one component of total compensation at Caterpillar.
Annual incentive bonus plan*
Medical, dental, and vision coverage
Paid time off plan (Vacation, Holiday, Volunteer, Etc.)
401k savings plan
Health savings account (HSA)
Flexible spending accounts (FSAs)
Healthy Lifestyle Programs
Employee Assistance Programs
Voluntary Benefits and Employee Discounts
*Subject to annual eligibility and incentive plan guidelines .
EEO/AA Employer. All qualified individuals – Including minorities, females, veterans and individuals with disabilities – are encouraged to apply.
Not ready to apply? Submit your information to our Talent Network here .
To apply for this job please visit careers.caterpillar.com.