The Bay Area makes big gains in manufacturing jobs
Finally some statistics that show the growth of manufacturing that we’ve been seeing in the SF Bay Area! The California Community Colleges are doing a great job promoting manufacturing training and the recent Oakland Unified School District Manufacturing Day Tour took 50 interested students to innovative manufacturing companies like:
- ERG Aerospace, producing Duocel foam, an open cell material out of metal, carbon and ceramics for spacecraft and other extreme application areas.
- Mighty Buildings, combining 3D printing, robotics and material science for customized sustainable dwellings.
- Mettler-Toledo Rainin, producing lab automation and bioreactor equipment.
- Creative Wood, family owned high end sustainable furniture manufacturers.
- Everett Graphics, award winning packaging producers.
- Kairos Power, advanced nuclear reactor design and development.
- Doer Marine, world’s largest remote and robotic underwater vehicle company.
We’re hoping to have Silicon Valley Robotics and AMT Innovation Lab on the tour for 2023 Manufacturing Day in the Bay Area! Below is the full letter about manufacturing jobs in the Bay Area from Mark Martin, Regional Director Adv. Manufacturing for California Community Colleges, Bay Area.
I thought this information on job gains would be of interest. The blue boxes below indicate job gains since October 2019. The data shows that the number of manufacturing jobs in the Bay Area is much higher than the numbers BEFORE the pandemic.
Of course, it could be higher if you could find you all the skilled employees you need. We continue to work on helping you find employees but there’s lots of demand out there. Please consider sending some of your employees to upgrade their skills at the local community colleges. You can find out what programs are available and the details by going here: https://
And please reach out to me if you have any questions or need help. We continue to work with more and more companies on apprenticeships, and I can help you with that as well.
(MP is mid-peninsula and includes San Mateo & SF counties; SB-SC = San Benito / Santa Clara counties)
Mark Martin, PhD
Regional Director – Adv Mfg | Employer Engagement
Bay Area Community Colleges